Home Improvement and Remodeling
Give your bathroom vanity a makeover, replace the toilet and faucet if needed, update the shower head for a better shower experience and re-caulk the bathroom tub. After sealing the attic bypasses, push the insulation back into place with an old broom handle or a stick as you back out of the attic. Then finish up by sealing the access hatch with self-sticking foam weatherstrip. You may have to add new wood stops to provide a better surface for the weatherstrip and enough room for hook-and-eye fasteners. Position the screw eyes so that you slightly compress the weatherstrip when you latch the hatch.
- Be sure to finish it with a waterproof sealant if you are installing it behind or around a sink.
- “Deck construction is up 275%,” Anderson says, quoting increases from March to July of this year.
- Just keep in mind the house is there to protect the home.
- If you plan to carry out any home improvements, you should tell us before the work is carried out.
- Having to buy whatever is available in an emergency, and paying financing charges and interest on top, will only drive up the cost of stuff you already don’t want to buy.
- For a segment on Tool Time, Tim agrees to fix the furnace is Benny’s aunt’s basement, but disaster strikes when Benny fails to tell him that there are TWO gas leaks in the house.
You might also need to get approval for building regulations, planning, listed building or conservation area purposes. Another PBS series, “Hometime” made its debut after “This Old House,” expanding on some of the tropes that made its predecessor so popular. Each episode takes a deep dive into DIY or contractor-performed home improvement projects, choosing to focus on a single installation rather than the renovation of the entire home.
This Old House
Add good acoustic insulation when you renovate, and it’s easier to have peace and quiet in one part of the house when there’s noise in another. Contractors who work on the exterior of your home know not to leave ladder scratches and dents behind. They purchase special ladder bumpers and stabilizers to protect your property. They aren’t expensive, but if you don’t have them, you can save a trip to the store in a pinch by wrapping an old towel or t-shirt around the ladder ends and securing them with painter’s tape.
HerMoney Podcast Episode 188: How To Close The Gender Pay Gap Once And For All
These are the builders that have specialized credentials, licensing and experience to perform renovation services in specific municipalities. Energy-efficient thermal insulation, replacement windows, and lighting. Upgrading rooms with luxuries, such as adding gourmet features to a kitchen or a hot tub spa to a bathroom.
Qualifying for a disabled facilities grant
Improve lighting and ventilation by replacing an existing light fixture with a ceiling fan. A ceiling fan will help you save money by not running the air-conditioner on those days when all you need is air movement. To keep your family comfortable and energy costs low, set your fan to spin counterclockwise in the summer and clockwise in the winter. The clockwise motion in the winter makes cool air rise and redistributes warm air.