75 Home Improvement Tips
Before taking out a home equity loan, be careful and consider the pros and cons. You should explore alternatives with a credit counselor that do not put your home at risk of a forced sale. If you are unable to make payments on time, you could end up losing your home. A home equity loan is a form of credit where your home is used as collateral to borrow money. You can use it to pay for major expenses, including education, medical bills, and home repairs.
- If it’s time to replace your dated mantel, choose one with enough depth to let you display pictures or other decorations.
- Hi all, we have a 1960s cottage that we are finally updating.
- Don’t stop at motion sensor lights; install a full home security system to match.
- Just make sure the style and shape of your extension fits in with the rest of your house.
- Switch up your switches.Screw on stylish new switch plates and you’ll lighten your mood every time you enter the room.
- To keep your family comfortable and energy costs low, set your fan to spin counterclockwise in the summer and clockwise in the winter.
Stripping and staining cabinets will give your space a major facelift. Sealing cabinets with polyurethane will also increase durability. Begin by removing cabinet doors and hardware, then wipe cabinet fronts and doors with mineral spirits to remove any dirt, dust, and grease.
Update Lighting Fixtures
Some things will cost a pretty penny but won’t make a significant impact on what your home is worth to someone else. There’s usually no need for planning permission with a loft conversion, as this kind of project requires internal work and doesn’t normally affect the exterior of the house or its footprint. You can make certain changes to your home without applying for planning permission under permitted development rights. The Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies advances understanding of housing issues and informs policy. Through graduate and executive courses, as well as fellowships and internship opportunities, the Center also trains and inspires the next generation of housing leaders.
Getting a disabled facilities grant if you live in rented accommodation
Center your showstopping art on the wall, and take care to hang it 57 inches above the ground- — that’s where the average eye level sits. Opt for modern or abstract design over an ornate or detailed pattern which can translate into visual confusion. Painting won’t take more than a weekend’s worth of work but can breathe new life into a small, stale-feeling space.
Installing a hardwood floor can take longer than a weekend, so choose a material that’s less time-consuming. Start with anything that comes in a roll, such as sheet vinyl, which looks better and lasts longer than it used to. Loose-lay sheet vinyl is unique because it doesn’t require adhesive.