The products and services we review may not be right for your individual circumstances. Replacing your carpet means tossing out all of the old floor covering. Save several scraps of carpet, whatever kind, for use on the top of sawhorses, as a creeper mat for working on the car, to pad your knees while fixing your plumbing or use as drop cloths. It’s probably less expensive and certainly more convenient to install a backyard shed or hire a handyperson to create access to hidden places in your house than renting space long-term.
- Drywall, doors, ceiling fans, light fixtures, and so much more.
- Tierney McAfee is a freelance writer and Country Living and The Pioneer Woman contributor who covers entertainment, holiday & entertaining, food & drinks, design ideas, DIY, and more.
- Architectural salvage-and-reuse centers are hotspots for ideas and materials.
- Check out your home’s basement, and where there are I-beams or wooden support beams in the ceiling, that’s where the home’s weight rests and you can’t remove walls above it.
- Dirty or clogged gutters allow water to spill over the edges and possibly too close to the foundation, which could create problems even if the landscaping slopes away from the house